Friday, December 18, 2015

El Tour De Tucson

So, I realized that I am REALLY delinquent on my updates. One important event that happened on November 21st was the El Tour de Tucson.

The El Tour is a huge event for Tucson as they have about 9000 participants.  There are 4 bike races with different distances that are approx 104, 80, 60 and 40 miles.

In the past, I have done the 40 and the 60.  My goal is to someday accomplish all of them.  However, its hard to do that when you rarely ride your bike.

So, about 2 weeks before the race this year I started to feel bad that I was out of shape and hadn't been riding and so I just decided to sign up for the 40.  My poor husband just goes along with my wild ideas and decides to join me.

I rode my bike to work for a couple of days (14 miles RT) and then we went for a 23 mile ride the weekend before the race.   That's it.  Not much for practicing.

The last time we did this in 2012, Jim and I tried to stay together and its rather impossible.  So we split up once the race started.  Our race started at Noon.   My goal was to finish by 3:30.

It was so much fun.  I felt good and strong.  I didn't want Jim to have to wait around too long at the finish line so I really pushed myself.  The feeling when you do that is just amazing. I managed to stay with a pack of people the whole way.  The last 2 times I done a bike race....well....pretty much the party was over by the time I rolled over the finish line.

When I finished the race, the crowd was still there and people where CHEERING.  It was so fun!

Jim finished at about 2:15 and I finished at 2:35.  Way better than both of us thought we would do.

So, next year....maybe the 104?

Oh....one more thing.  Jim told me that if I beat him he would buy me a new helmet.  However, since he beat me I didn't think I would get one.  I think he changed his mind after seeing me at the race.  It does look ridiculous and he said I could get a new one.  YAY!

 
23 mile preride the week before the race.
Our new jerseys.  Waiting for the race to start.

pre-race selfies


At the starting line.
I took a quick stop here at this rest area and quickly chowed down a quarter of a peanut butter sandwich and a quarter of a banana.  I think this made a HUGE difference.
Donna

Jim

The view most of the way - Just of constantly changing people



stopped at a stop light.
Finished and got my finishers metal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


You guys are my hero's and I really mean it.. I'm not being snarky in any way. I'm very proud of you for doing this and maybe someday I can be there to go around too. You both are so awesome and I am so glad you posted this.