Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Grandma



I'm sorry I've been so neglectful of my blog. Its amazing how quickly this last month has gone. My thoughts have been with my Grandma and its been really hard to focus on anything else. Today is day 10 of no food or water and we only expect her to live another day or two. Please think good thoughts for her. She is 92 years old and she will not live. I just want her to be without pain and discomfort. She is in my old bedroom up in Washington in a hospital bed waining away. My parents and brother and sister have been at her bedside constantly as well as many other relatives and friends. This truly has been a really tough experience on them. This is a really hard way to see someone die. My grandma was a good lady and I have so many happy memories of being at their home. In her last years she suffered from dementia and its unfortunate that some of her great-grandchildren will have that as their memories of her. Anyway, I'll update on her funeral arrangements when they are made.

I'm thankful I got to see her in May. This photo is the last moments that I ever saw her. I ran back into the house before we left and gave her a hug and took her picture. It was Mothers Day.
We just never know when the last time we see people will be.

5 comments:

D'Anna said...

My favorite memory of Grandma was when we were at the Zoo,years ago, and i was pushing her in the weelchair. This little squirrel crossed our path, looked at us and started to run up the path. I automatically started chasing the squirll. So there we were, Me running up the path and grandma going along for the ride. That was the highlight of both of our days. That was all she would talk about the next day.
And Dustin still remembers when we would go to Grandma Ferns house and he would get the stuffed animals from Grandma Graces room and sit on the couch next to grandma and they would play stuffed animals together.
We understand that Grandma has not been herself. I will always remember grandma by, not laying on the hospital bed, but by the good time's we had together. I know the boys feel the same way too. :)

NadineB said...

Yes, your grandma is a sweet lady. She will be missed. It is never easy to let them go or watch them go. I still think about my grandma a lot and am thankful that we had her with us as long as we did (100+ years!). Because she lived that long, my children are even able to remember her.

Darin, Jean, Samson & Sydney said...

Donna - so sorry to hear you are losing your Grandma. It is so hard to watch them go. Your good memories of her will be a wonderful comfort.

Thinking of you and your family.

Hugs, Jean

Troy, Lisa, and Braden said...

We appreciated your grandma so much, and are glad we got to be in meeting with her. She is a special lady. Your family has done a wonderful job of caring for her in these years. We know it's not easy; we're thinking of you all.

Kent, Melisa,Tiana (and Coda) said...

Thoughts are with you, Donna (and the rest of the family, too!) It is so hard to lose such a loving person, but her attained goal makes saying "See you later" much easier and much more inspiring in our own walk!