Saturday, September 26, 2009

Reno Air Races Sept 18-19, 2009
















Jim and I decided to go to the air races again this year. They are held every year at Stead Air Field just outside of Reno, NV. The set up pylons around the valley and depending on the type of planes that are racing depends on how large of course they have. The biplanes,formula one and T-6 planes average around 245 miles per hour. The sport class race about 335 miles per hour. The super sport class is around 392 mph. The Unlimited class races about 480 mph and the jets are at about 525 mph. The planes circle the field pretty close to the ground and can be quite dangerous. The last time we were at the races we saw two different horrible crashes in which pilots were killed. I was pretty nervous about going back but so glad I did. He did see one crash (see previous post).

Here are some more photos


2 comments:

Tami Asars said...

Gorgeous pictures (as usual)! Looks like fun!

NadineB said...

Sounds like you had fun at the air races in Reno. Sorry I missed out. My Boeing trip got cancelled, so it turns out I maybe could have gone to Reno. Oh well, maybe next year. -Brian