Saturday, Nov 19 was the El Tour de Tucson. About 9000 riders showed up from all over the world to Tucson to race in one of 4 rides, 111 miles, 82 miles, 60 miles or 42 miles. Donna L and I entered the 42 mile race. We went to the Tucson Convention Center on Thursday and picked up our registration package (our number, shirts, my jersey, free giveaways, etc. etc.). We were both so excited for the race. Friday night, we met Jason and Donna for dinner at a Italian restaurant and filled up on pasta. Yummy considering its been months since I actually let myself enjoy a plate of pasta.
On Saturday morning, Jim helped me prepare for the race. He attached all my numbers, filled my water bottles, and helped me get ready. I was anxious and nervous. My first bike race. I felt so good.
Jason and Donna and the kids came by on Saturday at 10:30am and picked me and my bike up. We drove up to the starting line in Rancho Vistoso. I knew I was in trouble. I had pictured the bike race all down hill. Rancho Vistoso is quite a bit higher in elevation than Tucson so I thought it would all be downhill. WRONG! The race starts at the bottom of a hill and climbs up and goes down and up and down and up. Then it goes down hill.
The line for the porta pottys was about 50 people or more deep. I think there were a lot of anxious people.
At about 5 minutes to noon they played the national anthem and then off we went.
Its such a high to be riding with so many people but then its also a bit scarey. Everyone was very considerate and I didn't see one bike crash.
It was impossible to keep together with Donna so I just let her ride on ahead.
One thing that was really cool was the rest areas. They had these stops set up with food, porta pottys, people standing there with jugs of water ready to fill up your water bottles. It was really nice.
The race was MUCH harder than I thought. I had a mountain bike that is heavy and I just plain had a hard time. I ended up getting cramps in my thighs. I could hardly peddle and I really don't know if I have EVER been in so much pain. It took me to the edge of my emotions. I would have BAWLED if it would have made me feel better. I didn't have gatorade with me. I didn't have anything with electrolites. No protein! No pain killers. Finally at the last rest stop I was able to get some advil and within 5 minutes I was pain free and finished the last 5 miles strong. It took us 5 hours and 20 minutes to go 42 miles. Not a good time. Donna would have finished much faster than me but I appreciate her hanging back and crossing the finish line with me. Thats what friends are for!! Such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.
One thing I learned......practice for more than 3 weeks before you want to enter a big race like this. Also, be prepared for leg cramps. Its horrible and handicaps a person. I'm sure we would have reached the end at least a half hour earlier had I not had cramps. I will be prepared for next time and I hope there is a next time soon!!
Also, Congratulations to our friend, Jeff K, who successfully completed the 111 mile ride. Good Job!
 |
| The start of the 42 mile race |
 |
| Tyler, Donna, Me, Kayahni, and Bryce |
 |
| Lots of people lined up at the start of the race |
 |
| Thats me....getting ready to ride. |
 |
| Starting over Twin Peaks |
 |
| Sara and the twins came out to a rest stop to cheer us on. I was needed the cheering right then and they definetly lifed my spirits. |
 |
| Trenton and Emma with their "Go Team Donna" signs |
 |
| Toooooooo Cute!!! |
 |
| Such a cutie pie! |
 |
| One last picture before we hit the road again. |
 |
| We made it!!! |
 |
| Our fan club......The Lennox family. Tyler, Andrew, Sheri, Kayahni, Don and Jason. Thank you so much for being with us at the starting line, cheering on the street halfway through the ride and being at the end of the race waiting for us!! |
 |
| People actually finished AFTER us. |
 |
| The finish line! |
4 comments:
I actually stopped by and read this the other day, but didn’t have time to post. This morning I am taking a few minutes to write you a message so that you know I was by and also to share my thoughts upon reading it!
The strength of character that was displayed by you overcoming the unexpected and powering through the pain and discomfort to complete the race is so inspiring! I can hardly find words to express appropriately what it meant to me for you to do that! Even the whole adventure and what led up to it with the change in thinking, lifestyle etc. It is unbelievable how that affects even my own efforts in this! Thanks for your inspiration, thanks for finishing!
Will chat again soon, loved the pictures.
Good job on the bike ride!!! I read in a magazine that there are 300 miles(?)of paved trail in the city of Tucson...I'd love to come down on vacation sometime and ride around! I started riding consistently (in the good weather) when a paved trail was completed west of our house (3 miles) in 2005 on a $350 Trek Hybrid (weight about 30 lbs.). But when I decided I wanted to do triathlons, I bought a road bike for about $800 (weight about 20 lbs)in 2008. Wow...I can't believe how much easier it is to ride a lighter bike! You should consider a road bike if you want to do a lot of riding (but make sure you also get a "bike fit," or else you could have comfort and pain issues.) Happy riding!
Thanks so much Donna! I wouldn't have even considered riding if it hadn't been for you! It was such an amazing experience! I am looking forward to many more with you!!!
Hey....my blog is up and running again! :)
Post a Comment