So, about 3 weeks ago I decided to ride in the upcoming El Tour de Tucson. Its a bike race that happens in Tucson every year the weekend before Thanksgiving (Nov 19). There are 4 different races. 111 miles, 85 miles, 60 miles and 42 miles. I'm going to do the 42 mile race. Since I hadn't been on a bike for several years I thought maybe it would be a good idea to dust it off and practice a little. Donna L decided to do it with me. So, "Team Donna" has been practicing.
Friday I was about 9 miles into my ride when I crashed. Yep, the inevitable happened. I was at the Brandi Fenton park and planning to refill my water bottle, when I got distracted by the basketball players and went off the sidewalk. When I went to go back on the sidewalk my tires did a funky move and I crashed.
I skinned up my knees and elbow and bruised my hip and leg. For a few seconds I thought "I want to go home". I got up and went and sat on a bench and sulked for a few minutes. I thought about what would happen if I quit... I'd never reach my goal (which was 30 miles for the day). If I never reached my goal then I wouldn't be ready for the bike race. If I'm not ready for the bike race, then my whole plan of getting fit is for nothing.....!! I didn't get fit to sit on the couch!!! So, I got back on my bike and road another 31 miles. Yep, exceeded my goal by 10 miles. Now I know I am ready. I'm kinda wishing I would have signed up for the 60 mile race but I'll maybe do that next year. We have to have goals....and falling sometimes is part of it. Its what we do when we fall that determines our future!
I also have to say that I am so thankful to have such a supportive husband. I can't really blame him for laughing at me when I told him I was going to sign up for the race since I hadn't even been on a bike for years. But, he's encouraged me and helped me. Yesterday he switched my tires from mountain bike tires to road tires so it would be a little easier to ride. He hooked up an odometer so I'd know how far I was riding and helped me get all the gear I need. XOXOXO
Also, thanks to Donna L, my riding partner. It will be much more fun having a friend along than doing it by myself.
The race is next Saturday. Stay tuned for more photos and race day adventures...but hopefully no more falls.
![]() |
| Me and my bike |
![]() |
| The wonderful Tucson bike loop - eventually it will go 50+ miles around the city. |
![]() |
| The scene of the accident |
![]() |
| The damage done .... I didn't take pics of my elbow its but pretty much the same. |




3 comments:
Hey my friend!
Glad to see you doing the race! I'm jealous of the beautiful bike path you have there! If you want to join a group of us ladies who are trying to reach our fitness/weight loss goals click on the top of my blog on the "On Your Marks, Get Set...Go!" blog and see what it's all about. I can get your information to Lani (blog host) to include you! We can inspire each other as we hobble along!:)
I am so thrilled with your post and endeavor! Picture me cheering you on like crazy from way up here in the frozen wasteland! I love reading of your adventures and can’t wait for the race stories!
It is looking more and more like even Thermal will be put on hold this year! I am a little disappointed for my kid, but then again that is life and so we must also learn that lesson too. I have connected with a professional up here who wants to help to find Kelsey and Rebecca sponsorship so it will be interesting to see how this unfolds! We recently had a professional photographer do some pictures of the girls and should be tweaking their websites etc. One of the things they want the girls to do is start blogging about their riding each week sharing the stories that happen each we as they train! I will let you know when they start doing this.
Thanks again for your inspiration and motivation! Think its funny how just a few months after you and without knowing you had made some big changes I started trying to do the same thing! Now I know and seeing how it worked for you is pushing me forward to keep on with my adventures as well!
Please pass on a special hello to Jim… you both mean the world to us! So glad your lives once again are part of ours!
OUCH!! That looks horrible!! Glad you were okay to race the next week!
Post a Comment