The El Tour de Tucson...is the biggest cycling event in the United States. This year, about 8700 people participated in the event. There are 4 races. The big one is 111 miles. The other events are 85, 60 or 42 miles. There are some little fun rides for the kids too. So, this year Jim and I did the 60 mile ride along with 1701 other people. My goal is to ride the 111 mile event but I'm just not there yet.
Troy T from Washington came down and did the 60 mile race as well. We had an awesome day! The weather was perfect. Overcast and about 75 degrees. The wind wasn't to bad.
So many people support the race. People line the roads and cheer and ring bells all along the way. People where lined up all along the finish chute cheering. It gave me goosebumps when I finished. Last year, it was almost dark by the time I finished and pretty much everyone had gone home. This year I finished while the music was still playing and the people where still cheering.
I didn't like seeing people hurt though. We saw quite a few accidents along the way. There was a big crash at the start line and 5 people and bikes where tangled up. They were just calling the ambulance as I went by. Later, a gal was being loaded into an ambulance as I went by. Jim saw someone hit by a car and taken to the hospital while he was waiting for me. At the finish line a guy crashed before he crossed it. He was a 3 time Olympic champion from the 1970's. He is now 65 years old but crashed about 5 feet from the finish line. He was taken away to the hospital too. He is ok, just severe road rash.
Last year I did the 42 mile event on my mountain bike and it was rough. This year I have a nice road bike and I'm physically fit and it made all the difference. I finished strong. Not as fast as I would have liked. We finished it in 5 hours and 8 minutes. Jim, of course, could have finished much faster but waited for me. Troy finished in 3.5 hours. Jim and I would have made it sooner if we hadn't miscommunicated. He waited for me but I passed him then I had to wait for him.
I was ready for the race but I had totally freaked myself out before the ride because the 60 mile event started at the bottom of a 3 mile hill. I have not ridden on hills because I don't want to ride in traffic if I don't have to. I was able to get up that hill in 15 minutes. Its amazing what a person can do if they try.
I also am so appreciative of the Lennox family for all the support they gave us. They took us to the start line and waited at the finish line. What wonderful friends.
Anyway, its a great feeling to be able to do something like this. A few years ago I wouldn't have been able to go 20 miles on my bike. I














 |
| Donna, Troy and Jim |
1 comment:
Lol... was following you virtually that day checking your facebook for updates.
Enjoyed reading your blog this morning.
I hit a wall a few weeks ago with my workouts and haven't gotten a check mark in a long time. I hope I have my mind back in form to make a fresh start on Monday!
Thanks for sharing once again!
Post a Comment