I tried to capture it in photos and video but its impossible.
My brother, Dewey, flew down from Washington on January 1st (after the Egg Nog jog) and we left for the Grand Canyon on January 3rd. We stayed the night at the Best Western Squire Inn in Tusayan (just outside the entrance to the National Park). It was bitterly cold. We drove out to the rim and I have never been so cold. We awoke the next morning to -2 degrees. Luckily it warmed up to about 20 by the time we started hiking. We got a late start because of the cold. It took us 5.5 hours to hike to to bottom. We stayed 2 nights at the bottom at the hiker dorms at Phantom Ranch. The full day we had at the bottom was spent hiking up the Clear Creek Trail to the Phantom Overlook. In the afternoon I hiked out to the Black Bridge across the Colorado River. We hiked out on January 6th. We drove to Flagstaff for the night and then home the next day through the Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. Amazing, right?
We accomplished approximately 27 miles hiking in three days. Twenty of it was done with a 25-30 lb backpack on (way to heavy, btw). We had no major catastrophes this time except that Jim's knee is shot and he almost didn't make it out but we gave ourselves plenty of time so we could stop and rest it.
I've put some of my favorite photos and video here. At the bottom is a link to my photos on Picasa. I hope you enjoy them all. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think.
BTW, I know my videos are a little corny....but thats who I am :-)
| Isn't Jims furr hat adorable? He bought in Moscow. It kept him very warm. |
| This guy was happy to see me |
| At Indian Gardens |
| Starting our hike out in the dark at 5:45am |
Soooo....who wants to go with us next time? Click here Our Fabulous Grand Canyon Photos To see more of our photos.

7 comments:
Looks like an amazing adventure!
Pick me, Pick me!!! I want to go in the spring of fall though!:)
Simply STUNNING! So envious! :) :)
Oh...I've read that book "Over the Edge...." It IS a SCARY read!! :)
You know I am a fan and now I am determined that before very long your next winter adventure will be here!!!
I think if this year unfolds the way I am hoping this might be the year that happens!
Love your point of view and your pictures. I am looking forward to the day I get to know your brother as well as we've gotten to know you and Jim.
We are thinking of going your Mom and Dad's direction for convention this year! They really felt that was a good idea when they visited here last year and I am thinking it is!
Anyhow thanks for sharing. Didn't know they got snow in the Grand Canyon! Learn something new everyday!
looks like Duane has some interesting reading!!!
What a fun trip for you again!!
Thanks for all the comments! Its nice to see and hear that people are reading it ;-)
Tim, Mom and Dad read the comments and are quite excited about the prospect of you visiting them for convention. I'm not sure about us going to Canada in the winter. I'm really not liking this cold spell we have. I think summer would be a better idea. Can't wait to see Kelsey in a few weeks!
Traci K - Really, lets talk about another trip to the Grand Canyon. Your boys would love it!
Cheers!
Post a Comment