Sunday, August 31, 2008

Gone Fishing

Jim and I went up for a quick trip to our timeshare in Pinetop, AZ on Thurs-Sat.We wanted to get some fishing in at Hawley Lake before the summer is over. Pinetop is a beautiful little town about 4 hours from Tucson in the White Mountains. Its great in the summer for fishing & hiking and also very popular in the winter for the skiing. We never get to the hiking part because we like to fish. Pinetop is also about 15-20 degrees cooler than Tucson. Oh, and it has trees which is really nice. Here is the view off our deck. The trees and mountain air smelled wonderful.














We went up on Thursday and then went fishing on Friday. We came back on Saturday afternoon.

This is a blurry picture of the beautiful pool area.














This was our unit. There are 4 condos to a building.














The recreation building and pool area. (and parking lot).
















Making breakfast before we head out to the lake.






























The beautiful lake in the early morning. The lake is on the Apache Indian reservation. It cost $6 per day for a permit to fish.















Waiting for the fish to bite.

This little guy kept us entertained throughout the day.













He liked nutter butter cookies.


And stored them in his cheeks for a while.



























We did catch 12 fish. Only a couple were big enough to merit keeping, however, we didn't keep any.
















Let me explain the paper towell around the fish... Those little guys are slippery and since we were just catching and releasing I didn't want him slipping away and hurting himself. Silly, I know. Jim was laughing at me. I did touch plenty of fish that day.















Then about 5:30pm a storm moved in. The lightning got a little too close for comfort and we called it a day.















Driving back to condo was challenging with the rain coming down and the sun in our eyes.

And last, but not least, the resort had a area set up with a bunch of bird feeders. Here is an Acorn Woodpecker.













So, thats it. Great fishing trip. Wish you could have been there ;-)

4 comments:

NadineB said...

Looks like a very nice, relaxing time. Sorry I didn't have a chance to talk to you at convention. I was only at #1 for part of the time and my sister was up visiting.

Anonymous said...

The lake brings fond memories......and I loooove your squirrel picture and the woodpecker..would make fantastic calender pictures!!!!!!

Traci K said...

What a great vacation spot! Looks like you had a great time!

Shirley said...

Nice place! It's been ages since I was last in Pinetop with my parents...suppose there's more people than there was back in the 70's! My parents loved to fish, too, but they usually kept their catch, and they were delicious! (Our favorite, favorite was brook trout in a little creek in the White Mountains.)