I went with Mom and Dad to Los Algodones, Mexico earlier this week so they could get their teeth worked on. This little border

town has the highest concentration of doctors offices in the world. We took Jim to the airport Monday morning for his next adventure and after we got home, Mom discovered that she forgot to pack the passports. She was very upset and so we tried to figure out what we could do to get the passports here in time for their dentist appointments the next day. We called Diane (my sister in Washington) and she went over to their house and got the passports and fed-exed them to Phil and Mary's house in Yuma. However, they wouldn't be there until around noon and their appt was at 8am. We went ahead and drove to Yuma (about a 3.5 hour drive) and stayed the night there and the next morning I took Mom and Dad to the border and dropped them off and they went ahead into Mexico without their passports (gasp). I was hoping fedex would arrive and they did at 11:15 and I took the passports down to my parents. All went well. Dad had 4 root canals, 3 crowns, and a molor extracted. Mom had several crowns, a filling and an extraction. All for MUCH less $ then you can get in the US. Below are photos of the dentist offices and around Algodones.







Lots of shopping in Algodones. High quality goods for your every whim.

One of the very hardest things for me to see was the stray dogs. There where quite a few and they just wandered around or laid on the sidewalks. This particular little guy was walking along on the other side of the street. He looked so sad and I called out to him and he crossed the street (thankfully he didn't get hit) and came over to me. He just stood there and stared at me like he was asking for help. Poor thing looks like he's suffering severe malnutrition and mange. 

Back yard in the morning at M
ary and Phils in Yuma.
Dad enjoyed cleaning their pool.
3 comments:
Wow--most interesting trip to the dentist! Nice that you could stay at Phil and Mary's. We were invited to visit them a long time ago, but never made it. (We used to drive to Phoenix, but now we fly. And Yuma is quite a drive from Phoenix.)
Wow, what an adventure. I feel terrible for your mom but glad everything came out ok (including the teeth ha ha). She's such a sweetie. Also sorry to hear about your aunt. I think I was in meeting with her last time she was here so I'm glad for that.
I've heard that LOTS of people are headed south of the border for all sorts of treatments. For me-- I'm glad for good insurance! That poor dog makes me sad!
Post a Comment