Monday, November 3, 2008

New Job

Well, I've gone an accepted a new job. What have I done???? I have such mixed feelings about going back to work. I have not looked for a new job and I only sent 2 resumes out. I kind of felt that if there was the right job for me out there it would come to me, and it did. So how can I not accept it, even though the timing is not what I wanted. I was thinking of more like February or March of next year, if I decided to go back to work.

So, your wondering what kind of job would make me come out of my pre-mature retirement...right?

Well, I guess my title will be "Workforce Specialist". Its a case manager position and It will be working with people who have disabilities, just out of prison, or laid-off try to find work or training them so they can get work. Its working in conjuction with the Pima-County One-Stop career center which is a county run career center. I won't be working for the county, but for an agency that contracts to the county.

When I got laid off in August, the administrative assistant knew someone that worked there so she called them in to give an overview of the services they offer. I was in Seattle at the time so I missed the whole thing. When I got back, Tobie (the Admin Asst) just told me that I was suppose to go the this career center at a certain time. I had no idea what I was getting into. Out of the whole company, Tobie and I are the only ones that went. I probably would not have, had I known what it was, cuz I was not planning on going right back to work. Anyway, I went and took an awful huge math, reading and spelling test that I had no idea about and was automatically signed up in a week of classes. Well, since I had nothing else to do at the time I went. The classes were how to interview, do my resume, etc. etc. etc. Seriously, I learned things like 1) before you go to an interview, make sure you have taken a shower 2) put on deoderant 3) brush your teeth. What a good review for me ;-)

So after a week of classes I had to meet with a case manager which looked at all the job leads she had and gave me a ton of jobs to follow up on. Which I didn't. I also met with her about going to school but never really followed up on that either. Real motivated here. Then a couple weeks ago she called me and said that I needed to apply for this job because it was the perfect job for me. I asked what the job was and she said it was the same thing she did there at the career center. I ignored the job, for a day. I then told Jim about it the next day and he said to just send in my resume to see what happens. So, I did and got an interview, then a second interview, then they checked my references, so I knew they would offer the job to me. They did today. So, I start on Nov 17th.

I really enjoyed my 3 months off. It will be very hard going back to work. Being a full time wife is really really nice. I took it very seriously which Jim thought was great and decided he didn't want me to work. But we don't have kids so I might as well go back to work and maybe down the road I will be a stay at home wife again.

7 comments:

J K L M N O P said...

I hope you enjoy your new venture! But I guess not so much to lose if you don't - you can always go back to the very honorable job of stay at home wife! ;-)

NadineB said...

Thanks for sharing... we'll be thinking about you. Sounds kind of bittersweet. Starting something new is hard, but hope it works out for you!

Traci K said...

Well, I'm happy and sad for you...happy that you've got a job again, but sad that you'll be missing your house wife job. But, like you said, maybe you'll be a housewife again if something doesn't work out. Enjoy the next 2 weeks off before you start. Better get a little more sightseeing in!:)

MSue and BMcD said...

Yay for a job!! Be thankful you were able to find work so quickly,there are many people really struggling in this economy right now. (I'm not saying I wouldn't love to be a stay at home wife though!) Good luck with everything!

Darin, Jean, Samson & Sydney said...

Congratulations and good luck!!

Dewey W said...

Alright hope your new job is the best.

Shirley said...

Good news about the job! 'Though it sounds like you were really enjoying "retirement!" :)

I haven't talked to your folks for a while, as we didn't have gospel mtg. for several weeks, so will have to try to catch up to them soon! (Meanwhile, last month we enjoyed the hospitality of the friends in Skagit County.)