Jim and I had an anniversary last week. 12 years married! To celebrate, we took a couple days of work and headed to the White Mountains. We have a timeshare condo in Pinetop so we stayed there. We fished a few days at Hawley Lake and then also drove lots of back roads and visited almost every lake around there to check out the fishing.
On our anniversary we headed to Hawley Lake. We got there at 6:30 in the morning and went to the same fishing spot we have been fishing at every time we have gone up there for the last 10 years. It was a beautiful morning. The lake was like glass. So incredibly quite. The geese and hawks were the only noises we heard beside an occasional fish jumping. We just sit there without talking much and just take it all in. There were hardly any other people on this beautiful lake. You'll see the picture below. Then about 8:30am here comes two men. They know we are there but come up there anyway. The guy, probably in his 70's, starts in on us that this is "his spot" and he doesn't know where else to fish. He said he has been coming to this lake for 28 years and this is his spot. We tell him that we beat him to it today...sorry he'll just have to find another spot. He pretty much says that he is going to fish there too. There is not much in life that upsets me alot...but this did. I told the man that he needed to leave that we where fishing there and he could go find his own spot. So he at least didn't fish between Jim and I, he came over to the other side of me, about 5 feet and gets all comfortable. I could not beleive it. There is probably 20 miles of shore to fish from and not another person anywhere else and then he has to sit 5 feet from me!!!!! Then his wife comes!!! This lady does not know how to be quiet. If she doesn't have anything to say, she started sighing. They also started smoking and every other word out of there mouth was a swear word. I couldn't believe that they had the nerve to come in there and steal everything that I came up there for...fresh air, quietness and no stress. There were a total of 6 fisherman crowded into that area. This went on for several hours. Them the man starts casting his line out in front of me. So I cast over top his. Yah, can you see the picture....starting to get ugly. Like I said, there's not many things in life that really upset me but this was one of them. I wouldn't back down and the guy wouldnt back down. I think Jim could start to see the smoke coming out of my ears!! I was ready to go get in the guys face. My dear sweet husband quietly packed up all our stuff without me noticing. I was too fixated on holding my ground to notice. He folded up the chairs and put them away, loaded the tackle box and nicely went over to two of the people that were with this very ugly man and told them they could have our spot and then he took all our stuff to the car. I could not believe he was giving up. I was ready to take this guy on. I stormed over to the car with my pole and he just gently told me we would go somewhere else. I'm so thankful for a calm headed husband he can remove me from situations before I get out of control (and I was close). We went fishing on the other side of the lake were there was no smoke, no swearing and peace.
My only consolation was that the guy choose to sit in a spot where I had been peeing before he got there. (yeah, you read that right)
We had a great trip only to come home to find that someone took the liberty of using my debit card to go shopping at a computer store in Bangalore, India.
Below are a few pictures of our trip.

If you want to see more...
On our anniversary we headed to Hawley Lake. We got there at 6:30 in the morning and went to the same fishing spot we have been fishing at every time we have gone up there for the last 10 years. It was a beautiful morning. The lake was like glass. So incredibly quite. The geese and hawks were the only noises we heard beside an occasional fish jumping. We just sit there without talking much and just take it all in. There were hardly any other people on this beautiful lake. You'll see the picture below. Then about 8:30am here comes two men. They know we are there but come up there anyway. The guy, probably in his 70's, starts in on us that this is "his spot" and he doesn't know where else to fish. He said he has been coming to this lake for 28 years and this is his spot. We tell him that we beat him to it today...sorry he'll just have to find another spot. He pretty much says that he is going to fish there too. There is not much in life that upsets me alot...but this did. I told the man that he needed to leave that we where fishing there and he could go find his own spot. So he at least didn't fish between Jim and I, he came over to the other side of me, about 5 feet and gets all comfortable. I could not beleive it. There is probably 20 miles of shore to fish from and not another person anywhere else and then he has to sit 5 feet from me!!!!! Then his wife comes!!! This lady does not know how to be quiet. If she doesn't have anything to say, she started sighing. They also started smoking and every other word out of there mouth was a swear word. I couldn't believe that they had the nerve to come in there and steal everything that I came up there for...fresh air, quietness and no stress. There were a total of 6 fisherman crowded into that area. This went on for several hours. Them the man starts casting his line out in front of me. So I cast over top his. Yah, can you see the picture....starting to get ugly. Like I said, there's not many things in life that really upset me but this was one of them. I wouldn't back down and the guy wouldnt back down. I think Jim could start to see the smoke coming out of my ears!! I was ready to go get in the guys face. My dear sweet husband quietly packed up all our stuff without me noticing. I was too fixated on holding my ground to notice. He folded up the chairs and put them away, loaded the tackle box and nicely went over to two of the people that were with this very ugly man and told them they could have our spot and then he took all our stuff to the car. I could not believe he was giving up. I was ready to take this guy on. I stormed over to the car with my pole and he just gently told me we would go somewhere else. I'm so thankful for a calm headed husband he can remove me from situations before I get out of control (and I was close). We went fishing on the other side of the lake were there was no smoke, no swearing and peace.
My only consolation was that the guy choose to sit in a spot where I had been peeing before he got there. (yeah, you read that right)
We had a great trip only to come home to find that someone took the liberty of using my debit card to go shopping at a computer store in Bangalore, India.
Below are a few pictures of our trip.
If you want to see more...
3 comments:
I enjoyed reading your storey, congratulations on your anniversary! It is too bad that simply being old doesn’t make people nice. I am glad Jim kept a cool head and salvaged your day!
Thanks again for sharing and your pictures and blog update are beautiful
Happy (belated) anniversary you two!! I can just see you standing your ground in a situation like that. Crazy guy. Hope you caught the big ones when you moved over in the other side. I think I'd go cook one big one right by his campfire-ha!!:)
Looking at these pictures brings fond memories from when we were there with you......Like when I kept loosing Jims fishing tackle by getting caught on stuff in the lake!!!!!! At least THAT was replaceable!! Fond Fond memories!!!
Post a Comment