This blog post is kind of long and wordy but I hope you can read it all the way through because it has a happy ending. (Well, a happy ending for everyone except me),
August 28th started like any other day. It was hot and muggy with the prospect of afternoon thunderstorms. I went to work and was going to go with three co-workers to lunch to celebrate one of their birthdays. As I was getting in the car I heard a "Meoww". So I said "Do you guys hear a cat?" Yes, they all hear it. So, I looked around and locked eyes with the sweetest little kitten (about 5 months old). She was half under a truck and looking directly at me and just crying and crying. I jumped out of the car and went over to her and she ran to me. I picked her up and I knew right then I could never leave her there. It was almost 100 degrees out and a parking lot was no place for a kitten.

So, now what do I do with a kitten? I got on the phone and called several people I know that like cats but no one would take her. I posted her picture of facebook asking for someone to please be willing to take her asap. I called Jim and told him that I found the sweetest kitten in the parking lot. His answer "So. I'm allergic to cats".
 |
| She looks like she is smiling but she was actually panting and dehydrated. |
 |
| Getting a much needed drink of water |
Hmmmm, now what? After discussing it with my coworkers we decided to take her to the animal shelter. If none of us could have her we would have to do something quickly because we needed to get back to work.
We got to the animal shelter and I waited in line when they opened at noon to give up my kitty. With all the commotion at the shelter, this sweet kitten gave me lots of kisses and then curled up in my lap when went to sleep. I had to wait 45 minutes. When it came my turn, I tearfully handed her over. They asked me how long I had her and I answered "1 hour". I think a few people in the waiting room chuckled at me crying after having her one hour.
 |
| Are you sure you can't keep me? |
 |
| This is why I left the shelter in tears. She looked so sad in the cage. |
Later, that night, I had a response on my facebook post from a family in Washington telling me that she is a Russian Blue cat and that they had one and they are so smart. Then Robin B posted that her husband always wanted a Russian Blue cat and that they would take her. Huh? Little Blue had already been relinquished to the shelter. Now what do I do.
So, the next morning I call the shelter many times until I finally get a real person. I ask about the cat and they tell me I can't have her back because she has to have her picture posted on the "found" website for 3 days. There is already another "interested party" who has there name on her for when she becomes available.
She should be available on Sept 1 and they would call me the night before. If both parties are interested then we would go to the shelter and there would be a "lottery" to see who gets her. So, a waiting game it is.
Sept 1 came and went and no call. I figured that Little Blue was gone to her new home. "ITs ok" I told myself. As long as she had a home.
Wednesday night, Sept 4th. 9:00pm. The phone rights. Its the animal shelter wanting to know if I still want the cat. If so, I have to be there at 12:00pm tomorrow. If the other party is there then we will have to have a drawing for her. I called Robin the next morning to make sure they still wanted her and she said that they really wanted her if I could get her.
I get to the shelter at 11:40 and there is already a line. Its about 90 degrees out and humid and miserable. By the time the shelter opened at noon there was about 30+ people in line. I wondered how many where there for Little Blue. I go in and the lady said anybody wanted to adopt cats or dogs to just go in the back. So, I go to the cat room and there is no Little Blue anywhere. Finally a volunteer comes and I give her Blue's shelter number and she finally finds her in a back room. I go back to make sure and there she is in a little cage on the bottom rack next to the floor in a corner. Poor baby. What a miserable place to spend a week.
I felt very panicked thinking that another person could be there for he as well. I just wanted to get the paperwork done and paid for so I could know that I had her back. (Can you believe it only cost me $25 to get her back. The shelter has a "September" special. It included all her shots, microchipped and spayed)
 |
| Found her. Now waiting for the paperwork to get done. |
 |
| Hanging out in the shelter. Waiting for adoption paperwork. |
They told me that she would have to be microchipped and spayed before I would be allowed to take her. I wouldn't be able to pick her up until Friday afternoon at 4pm. She would be spayed the next morning. That's ok, by then I would have a litter box made and some food.
Friday afternoon, I went and picked her up after work. I expected to pick up a sickish cat since she had surgery that day but she doesn't even act like she had surgery. She is the most amazing cat ever. The shelter took my kennel and went in the back and put her in it. She cried and cried while I walked out to the car and put her in. Then she looked through the slats of the kennel and saw me. Her cries immediently turned from cries to purring.
 |
| Finally at Jim and Donna's. |
 |
| Meeting Jim and carving a way into his heart. |
 |
| Oh, this blanket is soooo soft. |
 |
| Wow, are those birds out there. |
 |
| I love looking out the window. |
 |
| How could you not love me? |
 |
| Lets play. |
 |
| Theres a mouse under the chair...get it! |
 |
| Don't you want to keep me forever? I would be a good kitty. |
 |
| I stayed up as late as I could so I could spend as much time with her before she went to her new home. |
 |
| Me and Little Blue. Its so hard to say goodbye. |
Saturday morning, Jim and I loaded up Blue and took her with us to Phoenix.
 |
| Road trip! |
 |
| Wake me when we get there! |
 |
| With my new momma! |
It was so hard to let her go but I know that Robin and John will take good care of her. I am such a succor for animals. Jim even really liked her and gave her a snuggle goodbye. So, miracles do happen.
Have you ever heard of the starfish story where the guy can't help all the starfishes but he made the difference in the life of one starfish. Well, we can't help every lost and stray animal but I hope that when you find a lost or stray one that you help that one. In Tucson, there are lots of stray dogs and cats. Most of them are wild and won't let you near them. I knew Little Blue was different when she called out to us asking for help and I'm glad I could make a difference in her life.
I received an e-mail from Robin a few days after she took Blue and this is what is said.
"Just a quick note to let you know that Blue is doing well. She sleeps with me at night and likes to give me kisses. She is "Obsessed" with the big cats and follows them everywhere. She especially likes Oreo's big fluffy tail, which he is always flicking around and she likes to pounce on it. Oreo doesn't like that as well as she does! She is still very interested in food - practically tried to climb into my bowl of oatmeal this morning. ha-ha!"
Oh, and one more thought that kind of made me smile. I have helped coordinate lots of Russian adoptions in my day but truly this is the first "Russian Blue" adoption.
5 comments:
A good story, Donna! She looks just like our kitty and I've always suspected ours is a Russian Blue as well. She meows all the time and is very affectionate. Mike said he was allergic too, but she has worked his way into his heart and there is no sneezing here, so I think it was just his way to defer getting one.:)
Its winding down here late on a Thursday afternoon, I believe for the first time since I started my bike riding adventure I am going to ride home after having ridden to work this morning. It’s a very warm, albeit a little windy afternoon here in Calgary. The current temperature is 28 ° Celsius which is equal to 82° Fahrenheit so this spot on the globe, this is very, very warm.
I enjoyed the “Blue” story, it was awesome and I was glad you referenced the story of the boy and the star fish. “You may not be anything to everyone in the whole world, but to someone you are their whole world!”
Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed the pictures and the story and I like thinking of “Blue” in her new home.
Thanks for your comments Traci and Tim. I like to know that people actually read my blog ;-)
Traci, if your cat looks like Blue then she probably is a Russian Blue. The shelter knew immediately what she was. I looked up how much they cost if you want to buy one and its $500-800. (unless you find them in a parking lot or shelter). Not sure why they would be so expensive. I must say though that she was the most loving cat I have ever met. She did talk a lot too.
Tim, keep up the good work. I enjoy hearing about your cycling adventures. Very impressive.
Thanks for inspiring me... I will be in shape for that Mud Run next fall... It's one of my short term goals.
Wow...love your "Little Blue" post (what a beautiful cat!!), especially since we got our own cat last month, who would have had to go to a shelter, if we didn't take her. So glad you found Blue when you did; you really SAVED her!! Oh, I'm getting tearrry.... So, good night...'til next time! :)
Post a Comment