Friday, January 23, 2015

Two trails diverged in the desert way

I know that you all must think I just spend all my time in the desert.  It seems that most of my blog posts lately are hiking in the desert.  Just photo after photo of cactus, etc. 

I don't really.  My day begins before dawn and it feels that I am just on the go all day long.  I'm exhausted when I get home at night.  My hikes in the desert our usually when I can catch a few hours on the weekend or evenings (when it is light enough).  Being out in the desert helps me get clarity and quiet.  I love when Jim can go with me but often he is working on other projects so I go alone. 

Monday was a holiday but Jim had to work.  I had invited a friend to go hiking with me but she ended up not being able to go.  So, I debated if I would go or not.  I finally decided to.  I took my normal trail backwards from how I usually hike it and came to a Y in the trail.  Which way.  I chose the way I have never been before.  I decided that since my cell phone was charged and I had GPS I could go figure it out.  I had a fabulous hike.  I'm not sure how far I went but according to my maps later I went at least 7 miles.  My goal was to find some petroglyphs. My thought was "If I were out here looking for a place to draw...where would I go".  Found them.

I also was thinking about this poem by Robert Frost.  One of my favorites.  I often think about the what if's in life.  What if this had been different what would my life be like?  What if this, what if that.  In life, we make our choices and we live with them.  We persevere even when things are hard.  We get over the hard stuff and try to enjoy the scenery as we go.  We can't go back so we move on.  I'm so happy for the peace in my life.  I'm thankful for the beautiful days that I have had.  I'm thankful for the sunshine, for my friends, and mostly for my family.   I'm thankful that the way that I choose brought me here. 

In other news....for the last 5 months I have been having problems with my eyes.  I thought it was allergies so I ignored it.  I ended up having abrasions on my corneas and did quite a bit of damage to them from just having dry eyes.  So, I'm happy to say that the treatments I have been getting have helped and I'm finally able to wear contacts again.  Anybody that knows me, knows that's a pretty big deal.  So, I'm pretty happy.  My eyes are not 100% but so much better and less painful.

Two trails diverged in the desert way
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
I chose the one less traveled...and that has made all the difference.
Good thing I wasn't relying on this trail marker to show me the way.  I almost missed it.
Looking for petroglyphs.
none here.
Only the remains of some animals lunch (feathers)
Onward
Wait, what is that high on that rock.  Could it be a drawing.
Someone liked sunshine as much as I do.

The Road Not Taken

By Robert Frost 1874–1963 Robert Frost
     
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it, thanks for posting. I love your desert pictures and that you share them often.

Finally got into the office, had a flat tire on my truck enroute. Its continuing to Chinook so very pleasant here temperature wise today although sloppy icy because of the mild temps.

Jelayne is going to come for the weekend it sounds like. Glor's fighting the bug I got. I hope I manage to catch up on some sleep and also finish construction in the orphan nursery for the new lambs that sooner or later are going to arrive.

Thanks again for the pictures and sharing the poem... one of my favorites too.

Mom.... said...

Beautiful pictures......we all have to love the outdoors to appreciate the beauty...and the desert certainly has it.....
I'm glad you shre your pictures...I won't even need to bring my camera when I come....I'll just enjoy your pictures.....ha!

Traci K said...

How awesome to find some petroglyphs!! The desert does have a beauty all it's own! I think you look like your Dad in that picture.:)