Monday, March 16, 2015

The Great Grand Canyon Hiking Adventure

We hiked the Grand Canyon again!!  It was amazing...just as it is every time I go there.  There were 11 of us total. I was able to get a permit 4 months ago as soon as March opened for reservations.  We stayed the first night at the top at the Bright Angel lodge.  The second night was halfway down the canyon at the Indian Gardens Campground.  The third and fourth night where at the Bright Angel Campground at the bottom of the canyon.  After we got out, we stayed the fifth night in Flagstaff.  What a vacation!  Someday, maybe we will take a vacation where we actually relax.

My cousin, Kelsey, was here from Calgary and we were the only ladies on the trip.  I think we were able to hang with the guys pretty well.  We hiked 30+ miles.  The elevation gain/loss was about 5000ft each way (in a 9 miles span so its very steep).

We had some great friends on the hike.  Karlan flew in from Colorado and Lyles friend came from Nebraska (He is the only one I didn't know before the hike but he was great too).  The rest of the group was from Arizona.  Most of the hikers had never been to the Grand Canyon before....ever. SO it was a really awesome experience for everyone.

We went on several "day hikes".  We went to Plateau Point, Phantom Overlook and the Clear Creek Trail and also the River Trail.  The guys where too tired to do a hike in the dark so Kelsey and I did a dark hike.  Kinda scary and fun at the same time.  There was a full moon that night and so it was so beautiful to hike and see the Colorado River in the moonlight.

My pack was about 35lbs.  Crazy heavy for me.  However, I made  it in and out ok.  We all made it out ok.  When you plan a trip and coordinate it that is always the worry.....that someone wont make it out.  But we all did.  What a great trip.    Here is a link to all the photos and I'll post a few here as well.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107618929605830788184/albums/6125342661921685969?authkey=CNHb5OOF_fz_VA


Looking down on the first tunnel of the Bright Angel Trail

Jim


Kelsey

Me and Jim

Part of the group on the Phantom Overlook hike

Kelsey eating a cliff bar on the side of a cliff

Kelsey

Our campsite at Bright Angel Campground

I love this photo of Jim on the Silver Bridge

Phillip brought his fishing pole so we spent some time hanging out at Boat Beach watching him.  I looks more like a photo spread for a outdoor magazine or something.

Afternoon River Trail hike

Where the Bright Angel Creek meets the Colorado River.  Our campsite is just at the opening of that canyon.

5:30am and Ready to start the hike out.







I love this video I took of Kelsey.  When we got to the top all these people wanted to talk to us and ask us what its like down there. 
Kelsey was so cute in her expressions I just started videoing here.  She is so adorable.  It was fun having our honorary daughter with us for the two weeks she was here.  It also shows Phil and Mark finishing their hike at the end.

Anyway, the people we took on the hike with us were our very good friends and I'm happy to say they are still our good friends.   Kelsey went back home to Calgary last Saturday night and we are in mourning now.  She offered to be our honorary daughter.  She is sooooo cool and we love her so much. Cant wait to see her again.  

Most of our group left the hike thinking about when they can return.  That's what happens when you hike the canyon.  It gets in your mind and pulls you back.  The beauty...the quietness...the feeling of accomplishment when you actually get out.  That last 3 miles are BRUTAL and you think it will never end...but then you cant wait to do it again. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for posting... just a quick glance and soo cool to see your pictures.

Thanks for all you did for Kelsey... its a super cool experience for her. Yes she's talking about going back!

Just this for now, I continue to be stupid busy with work and so gotta run.

Donna and Jim said...

We enjoyed Kelsey immensely. Did she tell you that I told her she didn't have any annoying qualities about her? LOL! Thank you so much for sharing her with us. The canyon is an amazing experience. I hope that someday you can come down and do it with us.

Donna and Jim said...

We enjoyed Kelsey immensely. Did she tell you that I told her she didn't have any annoying qualities about her? LOL! Thank you so much for sharing her with us. The canyon is an amazing experience. I hope that someday you can come down and do it with us.

Donna and Jim said...

We enjoyed Kelsey immensely. Did she tell you that I told her she didn't have any annoying qualities about her? LOL! Thank you so much for sharing her with us. The canyon is an amazing experience. I hope that someday you can come down and do it with us.

Donna and Jim said...

We enjoyed Kelsey immensely. Did she tell you that I told her she didn't have any annoying qualities about her? LOL! Thank you so much for sharing her with us. The canyon is an amazing experience. I hope that someday you can come down and do it with us.

Donna and Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna and Jim said...

I'm so computer savvy I posted my comment multiple times. Lovely!

Donna and Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.