Tuesday, April 10, 2012

10K with a twist

So, I've been wanting to do a "mud run" for some time and I found a 5K on for April 7 in Tucson.  Long story short...Sara and I signed up for it and then it got postponed to October.  So we found another run in Eloy (a short distance north of Tucson).  Then we found a few more people that were willing to torture themselves with us....but then we realized it was a 10K not a 5k.  It was advertised to be super difficult that a lot of people "won't even finish".  I was super nervous because I didn't want to quit. Since I fell off my bike a few weeks ago (another long story) my rib has been hurting (or it may have been the situps, I don't know) I just didn't know how well I could do.    Anyway, we went to Eloy with a group of loyal supporting friends (who set up camp and waited for us) and played in the mud.  The run was difficult but not like it was advertised.  We got lost out in the potato patch and it lacked water stops (it was 85 degrees out) and snacks. 
The best obstacle was a huge mud pit in which we carried sand bags through.  While it sounds like torture...it was hilarious to watch people, including myself, covered head to toe in mud struggling through this mud pit for no other reason than to have fun. 
The last obstacle was the zip line. Jim was there waiting and taking pictures and when he saw how much fun we were having he told me to sign him up for the October race.  My influence is finally rubbing off on him ;-)
The pictures below are taking by Jim and by our friend Anita, who I hope was influenced to sign up for the October race too.
Oh, and because the race was not what they advertised (because they ran out of time...they say) they are having a FREE do-over with better obstacles and more water in just a few weeks.  I'm not sure I will be recovered enough to do it again and some other important stuff is coming up so we will see...
Swag

Sara and Donna

horsing around before the race

Nice and clean and ready to run  Donna, Phil, Christian, Andrew, Jason and Sara

Off we go.....I wish Iknew what Phil was saying here.
Inverted climbing wall.

Sara was Mrs Spiderwoman.....me?...not so much.

Andrew

Here we are coming out of the water hole

Yah!  One more obstacle to go
Zip Line - Anita looks so clean and nice next to the rest of us.
Jason getting ready to zip down the zip line

Andrew ready to zip down

Me and Sara getting up to the zip line

Its amazing how big of a splash I can make

Sara does it perfect

Phil ....Well, Phil is Phil

Christian
Dirty and tired but we sure had a great time.

3 comments:

Deena said...

Fun! And you don't even look all that dirty. Some friends from here recently did the Warrior Dash in Hawaii and ended up plastered in mud from neck to toe!

Anonymous said...

Wow.. a little cold here for that activity yet, however it looked just about right there! Looks like fun! Cool that Jim's going to do the next one!

Thanks for sharing!

Kale Recaido said...

this is awesome! i want to do one like this but the closest we have is the warrior dash on oahu and i just missed it. glad to hear it's not as brutal as it seems...