Monday, August 4, 2014

One of my latest projects

Our house is very southwestern and has some really fun extras. However, with the harsh weather down here things get looking "old" real quick if they aren't taken care of.

The previous owner left this cut-out of a Javalina in the yard.  Its kind of neat and we just left it there.  However, its pretty oxidized and rusty.  I want to give the house a lived in feel, not a sad run down feel so it had to be painted.  


Attached to the house is a garden hose holder cut out in a cactus and quail.  Kind of cute but totally rusted and terrible looking.  So, it had to be painted too.



In the front of our house we have these wonderful copper lights.  Jim and I tried everything to get them cleaned up.  They look kind of cool but I wanted them all to match and some where more tarnished than the others and I just didn't like the look.  I went so far as to soak them in a cooler of Coca-Cola.  It worked a little but not enough.  So, while Jim was in Africa, I decided to paint them too.




Once they were painted, I hand painted the lizard design back onto the light fixtures. 


Now, to attach everything back to the house.  Below, is the hose holder up in the front by the garage.



and here is one of the lights on the house.  I think they turned out really nice. 



As for the Javalina cut-out, I like it much better now.  The Javalina, however, are still undecided...or so it seems.  Watch the video below and let me know what you think in the comments?  Does he like it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I think he is wondering why that one is so skinny they all turned out great. Lights look good on the house. Diane

Anonymous said...

The long weekend has come to an abrupt end and I am seated at my desk following what was a busy weekend on the farm. I will update my blog with those details later.

I believe he was at the first somewhat taken aback by the new “Javalinia” staring back at him, however he seemed to quickly determine he was bigger and badder and just went on about his business only a little phased by the whole encounter.

I enjoyed this post, I too can’t wait until we have our feet firmly planted on the farm and are able to make changes and adjustments to make our portion of it look lived in by us. I know it is just different strokes for different folks; however I am anxious for the process to continue and to see results as positive as yours on the edge of the desert.
Well I am going to let this be all for the moment, have a lot of things to get through in short order here so will let this be all for now.

Traci K said...

Funny! He can't quite figure out his stiff brother! Love the lights!! Great job!

Donna and Jim said...

Ha Ha! Thanks ya'll. Diane, I think that is funny. Why is he so skinny?

Donna and Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.