Thursday, February 7, 2008
Cool Hummingbird Story
We have alot of hummingbirds in our back yard. Tonight I noticed that all 5 feeders where dry and the hummingbirds where hanging around looking for something to drink. So, I made up some drink for them and waited for it to cool and then brought all the feeders into the house to wash and refill them. I have a few little feeders that hold about a cup. SO I filled up one of them and took it to the back yard. There where about 10 birds in the trees watching me so I held it up to see if they would come and drink while I was holding it. There where a few brave ones. It was an arm lenght out in front of me and at one point their where 3 little birds taking turns at it with more whizzing around my head. Seeing them up close like that is incredible. It took all I had not to jerk sometimes because they where testing me at first by diving by my face. Also, when one was drinking another one would try to scare him away. I could just visualize that sharp little bill gouging my hand. My arm got very tired but it was great. I'm definitly going to have to try it more to try to get them to trust me more. They are so beautiful. Sorry, no pictures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's neat that they will come that close. You MUST get Jim to take a picture next time!
That's really cool.
A once-in-a-lifetime type deal (in my best Fargo accent).
Post a Comment