Since the nest was destroyed by the removal of all the junk the babies where just laying there. There was two live babies and two dead babies. Jim wasn't sure if they were rats or rabbits because they were very small and their eyes weren't open yet. We also didn't know what happened to the mother or why the other two babies were dead. We thought maybe something happened to her.
We took them into the house and got a nice box for them. I ran to Petsmart and got kitten replacer milk and an eye dropper. I did some internet research and watched some youtube videos on how to feed baby rabbits.
Darren and I started feeding them on the back patio but they cried so much the coyotes came right up to the patio looking for them. I was so freaked out. Jim said that if everybody was in agreement (my family was still here) that they could come inside.
The babies actually did really well. There eyes opened the next day which put them at about 10 days old. They drank pretty well but it took me one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening to get enough down them. (about 7 ml each per day). By the time I had them three days I realized that this would be a long haul. I kept thinking about how I would release them. I only handled them to feed them as I was trying to keep them wild. They started getting their legs going and where pretty hard to hang on to at times. I thought about all the coyotes around. I knew that if I released them in our yard that everytime the coyotes would go crazy at night that I would think they were getting these rabbits. For my own sanity, I started trying to see who could take them.
I follow a gal on Youtube called "Camels and Friends". She lives here in the area and has lots of animals. I asked her if should could take them. She was going out of town but she referred me to another lady that works for the Tucson Wildlife Rehab center. They said there was this other place, Northwest Tucson Rehab, that was really close to my house. I called them and they asked me to bring them right over.
So, Mom, Dad, Diane, Darren and I, loaded up the rabbits and took them over there. This lady has a house (she lives there) that is so full of wild animals. She is licensed by Fish and Game to do this. She has a team of volunteers that comes in to help feed the animals and help out. She had quite a few other rabbits that were doing really good. One of the volunteers offered to give us a tour. It was fascinating. I highly recommend that if anybody has spare time to volunteer at places like this that they should volunteer. Just think, you could eye dropped feed wild baby rabbits. Anyway, it was hard to let them go, but after three days of having them, I was ready. I'm so glad to know there is somewhere I can take animals if I need to.
| liking milk off each other after a feeding |
![]() |
| Great horned owls at the Wildlife Rehab center |
![]() |
| Hawk in rehab |
![]() |
| Don't you dare take my dinner. The hawk is hiking his mouse from us. |










3 comments:
I love the baby rabbit story. It reminded me of the story of the little boy walking down the beach throwing star fish back in the ocean... You made a huge difference to those two little bunnies and it did something for the whole household to do it... Thanks for sharing the story.
Have a spectacular week.
Oh so cute! Glad you rescued them.:)
They were soooo cute!!! But a lot of work feeding them.......enjoyed watching Donna with them while they were there/ A neat experience!!!!!
Post a Comment