I've been thinking about this lately. Everybody would like to believe that when they leave the world that their life had an impact on somebody. Most people know that our lives impact our families but what about the rest of the world. People leave the world, others do their jobs, etc. and the gap is pretty much filled in. What effect will my life leave? Will it matter when I die?
In my job I see horrible things that are done to children and it really bothers me. How could people treat others so badly. It leaves such a lasting effect. I read an article about a man who recently kidnapped a little girl and murdered her in Washington state. They outlined his life and it seems that he was very abused as a child and he grew up to abuse children. In the children I see pictures of in orphanages and have tried to place for adoption, some have been horribly sexually abused, one little girl has burns all over her legs from someone putting burning sticks on her. It really effects these children and often they cannot even function in a good adoptive home because they cannot forget and they can no longer trust adults. It does not mean that all children who are abused will be that way. Just some. Some children are stronger and more resiliant than others.
So if I could change the world, I would change the evil abuse that some people, and other children, do to children. The reality is.....I can't. I am one. I cannot change the world. I cannot change the evil. I cannot change human nature.
A few years ago at Casa Grande convention someone spoke about how we can make a difference in the lives of others. We all want to. How do we do it? Well, there are things we can do. In all the things I do at work to try to change things the real important things are the changes that I need to make in my own life. Here are 7 ways we can make a difference in the lives of others:
1. By caring. Remember the good samaritan. He changed the life of a man that was fallen by the wayside. We don't even know the mans name. It doesn't matter. He made a difference in the life of that man, just by caring for him. When we see those who are going through difficult times, we can make a difference also just by letting them know we are there.
2. By praying. Sometimes I forget the power of prayer and how it can help others. I sometimes pray to much for myself (I know I need it), but we need to be diligent to pray for others. Even if we face hard situations, we can make a difference by praying about it. Even if we can't change the situation, we can change how we view the situation. We can bravely face things that are hard. Sometimes when I see people in hard situations bravely going on, I think how God is helping them and how God is good and how he strenghtens his people. It makes me want to continue. I want to be this way to others also.
3. By being faithful. We can be faithful by being in every meeting we can. We can be faithful in praying and reading. We can be faithful in our jobs. By being faithful in every aspect of our lives and others are going to know we are dependable. When there is an important job to do, we can be counted on for it. Being dependable to others takes a track record. I remember someone saying about me that I needed some responsiblity. I was always gone, always going here and there. My life has changed in the fact that I try to be responsible in our meetings here. I appreciate those that come to our Wed night bible study who I know will be there, who want to be there, and are there unless they are sick or something (then they call). By being faithful, we are showing we can be responsible for more.
4. By keeping a right spirit - Oh how many times I wish I could recall words that I have said when I am angry. How happy I am when I am angry but keep my place. It doesn't mean being a doormat. What it means is "be ye angry and sin not!" Our spirit shows what is in our heart. If we have a soft spirit, then we will have a soft heart when it comes to reacting to others. I often have families I work with get mad. I sometimes have to tell them bad things aboat their adoption. Sometimes they take personal shots back at me to try to make me feel bad. Thats human nature. Sometimes if we place ourselves in the shoes of others we can understand why they are angry and its important not to take it personal. BUT, there are time when I need correction and I need to be told hard things. Do I have a right spirit for that? If I don't, how can God work with me.
5. By our example. This one is hard for me because I don't feel I am a good example for anyone. I want to be and I need to work more at this. I think of the "pillars of the kingdom" that I grew up with. Those who are long gone. I often think of Buzz Bauman. Now most of you have no idea who that is. But Buzz was the eldar of our meeting in Edmonds, WA when I was just a kid. I don't remember anything he said, but I remember his example and his testimony to others. I remember his smile. I always wanted to be like Buzz. Our example can encourage others to keep on going. If we can do it, they can do it. We sometimes don't know what effect that has on people. I know when I go up Milltown and I see poeple there that I have seen there every year since I was born, it makes me know that I want to continue also. Even people I don't know. Just seeing them continue in Gods faith makes me want to continue.
6. By listening. We can make a difference by listening to others. Maybe they just need to get it off their chest. I know that when people listen to me it makes me feel happy. Its horrible to tell someone somthing but know they are not listening. Even in a marriage sometimes that is hard. How often Jim tells me things but I have my mind on other things am don't pay attention. By listening it doens't mean you tell anyone else. There are things I don't tell people, because I know that it will be spread around. By listening, we listen. We don't spread it around. If someone knows we have the integrety to listen and give a intelligence response then we can make a difference to them.
7. By being patient and gentle. I've been watching the bird out front on its nest. Perfect picture of patience. Enduring monsoon storms to protect the eggs, knowing how important they are. I need to be more patient in enduring the storm. Staying in my place and protecting what is important.
So, I realize how long this is and I don't know if anybody will actually read it. Its just kind of what I have been thinking about. I so appreciate all those in my life who are faithful in their friendship to me. I appreciate those in my past whose example made a difference to me. I am thankful because I know there are those who pray for me. Those who keep a right spirit and hold me up in times of trials. I am thankful for those who listen to me who make me feel like I have an voice. I appreciate those who are patient with me, who have not given up on me in the years when it would have been easy to do. I appreciate those who take the time to help me out of the wayside and get me on the right path by their caring and their love. Thank you! You have made a difference in my life.
5 comments:
I enjoyed this very much. It really gave me a nice little boost today. Thanks!
It sounds like you have a tough job, but you do it well.
Lane
This is very good....if only we could all try harder to do this.....I read in the paper today about a man praying for his daughter to be healed from cancer...he has been praying for a long time this way, finally said he was changing his prayer to "if your plan is to take her, please change your plan! The most important thing it to fit into God's plan, not try to change it....and if we could all try to do what you have posted it would be a way we could fit in!! Thanks for your thoughts...they are good!! Luv, Mom
Sis you are right on with these comments, all we can do is our best and with the help of pray and being faithful we will leave the world a better place. But it is up to those in the world that are left behind to do the rest. I love you and miss you can't wait for you to come back home.
Love your bro
Dewey
I was reading this again and thinking about number 6: Listening.
I've always wondered if James was saying this in James 3:17 '...easy to be intreated' could mean being easy to talk to....?
Maybe I've misinterpreted the verse all this time but I always think about that in that way.
Have a great week.
Lane
Those are great thoughts Donna! Do enjoy reading your blog!
Post a Comment