Thursday, June 19, 2008

Marshall Gulch/Alpine hike

Well, 100 miles into our vacation to Big Bear Lake, CA on Sunday the fuel pump went out in our car and we had to turn around and go home. So after dealing with the dealership, etc. on Monday we went hiking on Tuesday. We had an wonderful time. It was 107 degrees in Tucson and just 29 miles up Mt Lemmon it was 79 degrees. Aaaah. It was a 4 mile hike of moderate terrain. Beautiful. In one of the photos you can see Tucson far below. I also saw my first Horney Toad Lizard. Pretty cool. Watch the youtube video to see what they are. I've never seen one before Tuesday. Anyway, we made the most of our vacation (at home). Ooooh well.










The view from Windy Point.

6 comments:

Wrena said...

New to me thanks for sharing! Way to spend your vacation! Glad your making the VERY best of it!

Shirley said...

Sorry to hear that your CA vacation kinda didn't get off the ground :( but glad you enjoyed a beautiful hike. Mount Lemmon is definitely a unique place, since you pass through several climate zones if you go clear to the top. The ski area up there is where I tried downhill skiing for the very first time back in about 1982. I spent most of my time putting my skis back on, after they'd come off in my little tumbles. (It wasn't until I moved up to WA that I actually LEARNED to ski, i.e., took lessons.) -S.

Lainey said...

How fun to see a horney toad. They often were pets at our house growing up. You have some very beautiful country where you are. It looks like a rewarding climb!

Lane and Sylvia said...

Awesome. I like the panorama shot too.

Anonymous said...

horny toad....yuk!!

The J's said...

What ugly interesting things those are!!